The town of Thiers has been famous for its cutlery industry and the manufacture of knives and blades since the 14th century. These strong regional roots led to the development of the metallurgy sector and the creation of specialist forging companies. Continuing this long tradition in the area, FORGINAL industrie was established in Thiers. It is the result of the merger of several forging companies.
FORGINAL industrie, founded by Gérard Terme.
This engineer, who specialised in mechanical engineering and CNC, began his forging career in the methods department.
He quickly rose through the ranks, taking responsibility for the quotation and purchasing departments, and then the maintenance department, in a forge with a 300-strong workforce.
He then became managing director of another forging company located near Thiers.
It was then that he decided he wanted to set up his own company, positioning it in leading-edge, innovative sectors.
Using all the technical expertise and experience he had acquired, he quickly pinpointed the market requirements and positioned his company accordingly.
It was natural for his son, Sylvain Terme, who had been “immersed” in forging from an early age, to follow in his father’s footsteps, and indeed those of his grandfather, who was also a hot forge operator in his time. The family’s history revolves around forging.
Following 12 years’ experience outside the family firm, working in commercial and technical fields, Sylvain Terme joined his father’s management team.
With the help of the board, his father handed over the reins to his son over a period of 6 years, gradually passing on the know-how and responsibilities.
FORGINAL industrie taken over by Sylvain Terme, the son of Gérard Terme
- Introduction of the new 5-year investment and development plan
- New managers included in the strategy committee
- Reorganisation and strengthening of the logistics and sales department
- Complete replacement of FORGINAL industrie's communication material
- Installation of a new ERP system
EN ISO 13485 certification
Creation of FORGINAL industrie
- EN ISO 9001 certification
Specialisation in custom-made parts
Acquisition of FORGES DE LA DORE by FGV
- Drop forging parts for valves, for the automotive sector and buckles for safety harnesses
Acquisition of ROUX & LALLEMENT by FORGINAL
- Drop forging and machining parts for valves
FORGES DE GEOFFROY LA VARENNE became FINANCIERE DE GEOFFROY LA VARENNE
- Mainly making parts for valves
Acquisition of FORGINAL by FORGES DE GEOFFROY LA VARENNE
- Company specialising in the manufacture of parts from 5 to 50 kg
- Sector: mainly aeronautical
- Materials forged: mainly titanium
Diversification of the drop forging operations
- Parts weighing from a few grammes to 3 kg produced in small series, for the weapons and automotive sectors